- Note: This article is about the lake itself. To see the Whispering Rock area, see Boathouse and Beach. To see the level of the game that takes place beneath the lake, see Lair of the Lungfish.
Admiral Cruller can be found in the boathouse, and campers can take one of his canoes out on the lake once they have been given an Oarsman merit badge. This is necessary to join Milla Vodello's Levitation class on the docks.
Before becoming Lake Oblongata, the area was a small village named Shaky Claim. Due to mass insanity caused by the excessive quantities of Psitanium in the soil, the government had all remaining sane residents evicted and flooded the valley. The ruins at the bottom of the lake, the Lair of the Lungfish, can be explored within an air bubble entered via the bathysphere.
- The name of the lake comes from the words Medulla Oblongata, which is the lower part of the brain stem.
- The name Shaky Claim stems from mining terminology. A "Claim" is a plot of land claimed by a person, and a "shaky" was one that could not be defended or kept, which is fitting, given that the town's residents were unable to stay there.
- Also, the large quantities of Psitanium under the ground are mine-able by the Psychonauts.
- When Razputin enters the area for the first time, it triggers a cutscene where the players are introduced to the Hand of Galochio.